Are You Ready?
A Guide to Citizen Preparedness brings together facts on disaster survival techniques, disaster-specific information, survival supplies, and how to prepare for and respond to both natural and man-made disasters that require survival skills.
Featured Survival Gear and Survival supply Stores: Click Here.
For More Information
To obtain the following publications, visit FEMA online at http://www.fema.gov/library or by calling FEMA's Distribution Center at 1-800-480-2520. FEMA can be reached via mail at:
Federal Emergency Management Agency
P.O. Box 2012
Jessup, MD 20794-2012
Local emergency management offices are also good sources for emergency management publications.
- This is FEMA (L-135). Provides an overview of FEMA.
- Are You Ready? A Guide to Citizen Preparedness (H-34).
- Emergency Preparedness Checklist (L-154). Provides a checklist of suggested disaster preparedness steps and activities. Also available in Spanish.
- Preparing for Emergencies: A Checklist, for People with Mobility Problems (L-154M). Provides information specific to people with limited mobility including children, people with disabilities, and the elderly.
- Your Family Disaster Supplies Kit (L-189). Provides a checklist of emergency supplies that should be kept in the home and contained in a Disaster Supplies Kit. Also available in Spanish.
- Your Family Disaster Plan (L-191). Provides guidelines and instructions to help families develop a disaster plan. Also available in Spanish.
- Emergency Food and Water Supplies (L-210). Explains how to choose food for an emergency kit, emergency cooking, water purification, where to locate emergency water, and how to store emergency food and water supplies in the home.
- Helping Children Cope with Disaster (L-196). Provides information on how to prep children prior to disaster and how to lessen the emotional effects of disaster. Also available in Spanish.
- Disaster Preparedness Coloring Book (FEMA-243). For ages 3-10. Also available in Spanish.
- Adventures of the Disaster Dudes (FEMA-242). Includes a video and presenters guide for use by an adult with children ages 9-11.
- Before Disaster Strikes (FEMA-291). Contains information on how to make sure you are financially prepared to deal with a natural disaster. Also available in Spanish.
- After Disaster Strikes (FEMA-292). Contains information on how to recover financially from a natural disaster. Also available in Spanish.
- Emergency Management Guide for Business and Industry (FEMA-141).
- When Disaster Strikes (L-217). Provides information on donations and volunteer organizations.
- The Adventures of Julia and Robbie: The Disaster Twins (FEMA-344). A collection of disaster related stories. Includes information on preparedness and how to mitigate against disasters.
- FEMA for Kids (L-229). Provides information about what FEMA (specifically FEMA.gov) has to offer children.
- After a Flood: The First Steps (L-198). Information for homeowners on preparedness, safety and recovery from a flood.
- Community Shelter (FEMA-361). Contains guidance for constructing mass shelters for public refuge in schools, hospitals and other places of assembly.
- Homeowner's Guide to Retrofitting: Six Ways to Protect Your House from Flooding (L-235). A brochure about obtaining information on how to protect your home from flooding.
- Homeowner's Guide to Retrofitting: Six Ways to Protect Your House from Flooding (FEMA-312). A detailed manual on how to protect your home from flooding.
- Taking Shelter from the Storm: Building a Safe Room Inside Your House (L-233). This brochure provides details about obtaining information on how to build a Wind Safe Room to withstand tornado, hurricane and other high winds.
- Taking Shelter from the Storm: Building a Safe Room Inside Your House (FEMA-320). This manual provides detailed information on how to build a Wind Safe Room to withstand tornado, hurricane and other high winds.
- Tornado Fact Sheet (L-148). Provides safety tips for before, during and after a tornado.
- Against the Wind: Protecting Your Home from Hurricane and Wind Damage (FEMA-247).
- Avoiding Earthquake Damage: A Checklist for Homeowners. Safety tips for before, during and after an earthquake.
- Preparedness in High-Rise Buildings (FEMA-76). Earthquake safety tips for high-rise dwellers.
- Learning to Live in Earthquake Country: Preparedness in Apartments and Mobile Homes (L-143). Safety tips on earthquake preparation for residents of apartments and mobile homes.
- Family Earthquake Safety Home Hazard Hunt and Drill (FEMA-113). How to identify home hazards; how to conduct earthquake drills.
- Wildfire: Are You Prepared? (L-203). Wildfire safety tips, preparedness and mitigation techniques.
| Survival and Preparedness Sites|
| Survival & Shooting News|